The Baby’s First Year collection is sponsored by People Toy Company, & this article is written by Shari Medini
It is truly amazing to watch a newborn baby turn into a toddling one year old! They grow & learn so much in this first year of their life, & it is such a privilege as a parent to be along for the ride 🙂
Below is an outline of typical motor development, but keep in mind that children grow & learn at their own pace. Both of my boys were very early with motor development, but slower with their verbal development; & I know plenty of kids who were the exact opposite! If you are ever concerned about your child’s development, we encourage you to speak to your child’s doctor.
- Babies will start sitting in a tripod position & gradually improve their stability while sitting.
- They will start to push up onto all fours when placed on their belly, & they might enjoy rocking back & forth on all fours or on their belly.
- At this stage, babies begin to support their weight on their legs while being held by an adult.
- They may have unique ways of getting places – rolling, scooting, army crawling, or regular crawling
- Many babies become much more mobile during this period of development.
- They are able to transition to different positions – belly to all fours to sitting & back again.
- Babies will begin to pull themselves to a stand, & walk while holding onto furniture.
- They will work on crouching down & picking up toys that they may have dropped.
- The big milestone of walking often happens right around the 12 month mark!
As parents, it is in our nature to compare our child to others & worry about their development; but I encourage you to try to enjoy these amazing milestones as your child achieves them! There are always ways to help encourage your baby’s development, but in the end, they are their own unique little person with their own unique ways of growing & learning. As long as your baby has your love & support, they are going to grow up from adorable babies into amazing kids!
*Check out the Baby’s First Year collection for more*
The People Co., ltd was formed in 1977 in Japan and has since been brought to the US market with People Toy Company. Since the start of the company, they have begun creating a range of toys and products loved by children and praised by parents! A lot of research and care goes into the design of every toy to help children achieve developmental milestones through play. To learn more about the People Toy Company and all of their wonderful products that they have to offer, you can visit them on their website or social media:
Expert parenting advice & resources from Adore Them